Friday, January 18, 2013

what I thought about "mr. fox"

This book has revolutionized my concept of writing and storytelling.  It was very freeing.  Mr. Fox has this interesting format where the protagonists keep appearing in different stories within a larger story, and it bends the rules, and I found it charming.  It was so different from anything else I've read in a long while that it helped reboot me.  I was told a while ago that people don't like essay collections or books of short stories (this is obviously a lie--I love short stories and essay collections--why did I listen to him?), and I made a lot of changes to a book I'm writing because of this, and promptly found myself in a creative tar pit.  I haven't been able to figure out how to extricate myself from it, but Mr. Fox has been very helpful and given me some ideas that may or may not turn out to be good, but at least it will get me somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment