Wednesday, June 27, 2012

what I thought about "the goose girl"

This is a superb book.  I loved it and thought the retelling of the familiar fairy tale was creative and rich.  I'm going to see if I can get Grant to read it.  He'll probably be like, "It says "girl" in the title, nopes."  Boys are so stupid.  They miss out on so much wonderful literature because they think it will be too girly.  Tell me, ladies, have you ever turned down a book merely because it looked too boyish?  I guess I don't read the sports section of the newspaper, that might count. 

It's a quick read, and very rewarding.  Shannon Hale is a talented writer, and I realized that she was also the author of "Princess Academy," another book I enjoyed.  They both, like "True Grit," have female protagonists who are strong and clever and resourceful, but not in a contrived or pandering way.  I like that.  I think I've explained how much I hate the princess culture in which we teach our daughters to be selfish, shallow, vain little consumers, so it's nice to see something that bucks that tradition in a way that feels completely organic and natural. 

No comments:

Post a Comment