Wednesday, April 11, 2012

more bringing up bebe

I put a comment to this effect down in the BuB post, but I'm putting it here as well--what do you think are the benefits of "American" parenting--specifically the pushing and competitiveness and disrespect of authority?  I know that I tend to encourage my children to not think that adults have all the answers or are the de facto moral leaders.  And the sort of people who grab the world by the tail, if you will, were rarely well-behaved, compliant children.  Am I off-base? 

3 comments:

  1. I have refrained from answering this question since I am not a parent. What do I know? I did get BuB from the library, finally! I have to read it after all the conversations about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are American children really raised to disrespect authority, or is it just that a lot of children aren't taught to respect authority? Seems like a very significant difference and not just semantics, to me. You have to know the rules to break the rules, otherwise you're just kind of barreling through doing your own thing.

    That didn't really answer your question. I think it is important to teach children to think critically about the world around them, question the status quo and stand for something. Did you see the thing going around Facebook with the kid whose teacher gave him detention for contradicting him when he was teaching that a KM was longer than a mile? You want your kid to be that kid, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, for sure. Good for that kid. There's a big difference between being a self-assured firebrand and being a puke. Crossing fingers that my kids will be firebrands . . .

      Delete