Thursday, June 27, 2013

catching up

Oh you guys, I have been a terrible reader/reporter.  Let me try to catch up.

I loved "The Selected Works of T.S. Spivet" immensely.  The protagonist is a delightful little boy and I want to hug him.  It's an interesting, heartwarming story, and it has such a unique style.  There's a moment where I was afraid it was going to get Oprah's-book-clubby, but thankfully it did not.  I highly recommend it.

I'm reading "Cooked" and seething about the people who call Michael Pollan an anti-feminist food scold.  Have they ever actually read any of his books?

I read "The Cooking of Provincial France," one of the Time-Life series of books.  I loved it, because it's written by M.F.K. Fisher, whose convictions are similar to mine.  So far I've only cooked the savory crepes from it, and I was not as attendant to the recipe as I should have been, but they were good.

Next I'm going to read "Salt Sugar Fat" and "Birds of America."

No comments:

Post a Comment