Tuesday, March 20, 2012

book blog is here, sort of

This is the book blog. I wish we could have a live chat, but then it would get to be a chore like all book clubs. I had one in Lehi where we read The Harvester (like a chaste, rural Harlequin romance, I recommend it) and The Poisonwood Bible (my choice), and that one worked pretty well for over a year, but then I moved. I was in one here and I think we only got through one book, which was The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio, which I did not love. I was embarrassed by that mom, and the book was depressing. Then that group went kerplooey, and I've been on my own since, which is fine, but sometimes you want to talk about a book with someone who's also read it. There's no crime in that!

So in the service of not creating an errand for everyone, we will make do with discussing our findings in the comments. It may take a while to get the kinks worked out, so please be patient with my analog-era brainwork.

First up is The Handmaid's Tale, by Margaret Atwood. I'll post my notes in two weeks--that's probably enough time for anybody who wants to read it to track it down, right? I'm excited! It's a doozy.

3 comments:

  1. This will be interesting. Do you want people to post comments frequently? If I start reading it and have a thought should I post it and we start conversing? I'll happily do that, but I want to understand the etiquette.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure! That's one of the kinks. For now I'd say, yeah, post your thoughts as they come to you. It seems like it would make for a more robust discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really happy you are doing this. I think it will be an adventure. I have avoided book clubs even though I love to read because it feel like it would be just another chore eventually. This should be less demanding (for one thing, I don't have to clean my house or serve petit fours) and more enjoyable. Layne, I will work on improving my internet slang, and thanks for your patience in that area! I will read this again since I read it so long ago.

    ReplyDelete