Thursday, March 29, 2012

thoughts on "bringing up bebe" as of page 53

Well, she's still doing the first-person-present thing, but I'm gritting my teeth.  Other than that, I want to take a highlighter and mark great swaths of texts and give it to a number of parents I know.  I just finished a chapter on pregnancy and am now on a chapter about babies sleeping, and although I am no longer in that stage of life I want to shout "TESTIFY!" and run around faith-healing all the sleep-deprived primal birthing worrywarts around me.

2 comments:

  1. As I said in my email, but will now repeat publicly to promote discussion, I'm gobbling this book up. I only picked it up because of your recommendation and did so reluctantly as I have no interest in debating parenting styles ever again -- and that very fact makes this the perfect book for me! A lot of what she does is skewer the whole concept of parenting styles. Very sensible, this book, and juicy and fun to read. Not done yet, but I am completely persuaded by the sleep chapter and the eating chapter. Merci beaucoup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's a fun read, and effectively skewers many of my most-hated parent types. Oh, wait until you get to the parsley snack.

      Delete